Loukoumades are a type of Greek doughnut that is glazed in a delicious syrup.
1 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Milk
3 Tablespoons Honey
2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
5 Cups Vegetable Oil for Frying
1. Begin by heating the water, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan until boiling.
2. Next, add the honey and then lower the heat, and allow the mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. After 10 minutes, remove the saucepan from heat, place aside, and try to keep the mixture warm.
1. Start heating the oil in a small to medium sized saucepan.
2. For the actual doughnuts, beat the egg until fluffy, and then add the flour, milk, vanilla extract, salt, nutmeg, and the remaining sugar.
3. Finally, add the baking powder and then mix well.
4. Begin dropping the mixture (about 1 Tablespoon sized balls) into the oil, and allow them to fry for about 8 minutes, or until they are dark and golden brown. Don’t forget to turn them around ever few minutes to cook all the sides.
5. Afterwards, place the doughnuts on paper to drain the excess oil, and then place them in a bowl. Pour the warm syrup over the doughnuts, and voila! you are done!